Sir Richard Sykes has resigned from his role as chairman of NHS London and has reportedly warned that others in the organisation may follow suit over disputes over the future of care in the capital.

The move comes hot on the heels of the new coalition government’s announcement last week that plans for an overhaul of healthcare services in London, as laid out by ex health minister Sir Ara Darzi, will be put on hold pending a review.

Plans to make care in the capital more efficient included the establishment of polyclinics, otherwise known as super surgeries, as well as specialist stroke and accident centers, but also potential A&E and maternity department closures in a bid to take some of the pressure off hospitals, but health secretary Andrew Lansley said even before his appointment that he disagreed with Labour’s reorganisation of services to save money.

In a letter to Lansley, Sir Richard said their respective visions for healthcare delivery in London “bear so little in common that it would make no sense for me to continue in this role”, according to media reports, fuelling his decision to step down from the position on July 7.

Meanwhile, Steve Barnett, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, also announced his resignation with effect from the end of June.

“With a new Chair in place, and following the departure of the former Director of NHS Employers, the appointment of a new Chief Executive will allow the organisation to move forward with a fresh senior team at the helm,” he said.